söndag 7 juli 2013

NSA espionage with the help of Google

Det här brevet skrev jag i dag till Google:
Today I wrote this letter to Google:

According to news reports Google was one of the companies that leaked information from users accounts, such as contents of e-mails and communication patterns, to US National Security Agency (NSA), a governmental espionage organization. I have not received any explanation, or if true, any excuse or compensation for this violation of the promises made to me when I created my Google account. I don´t want strangers to collect information about what I say to whom. (Do you?) My understanding when I created my account was that you would respect my privacy. 

There are many countries, and have been in history, that have used wide spread espionage against their own citizens to identify and punish "enemies of the state". The most well-known is perhaps what STASI did in the DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik) under Honecker, but the proportion of their espionage was nothing in comparison to what the NSA has been doing. By all criteria it should be defined as an international crime, a violation of human rights and anti-democratic. If the US wants to do that against their own citizens, it would be bad enough. But when they think they have the right to monitor the activities of ordinary people in other countries, including Sweden and the rest of Europe, by demanding access to the contents of their e-mail, and who has written to whom, it is in my eyes totally unacceptable. If you agree this is a crime and a violation of international regulations, and if you have assisted NSA in these activities, are you not as guilty as they are? And what about the promises of privacy you made when I signed up to trust Google?

Yes, I have seen that you now have changed the conditions in retrospect (end of June this year) to include demands from governments as a justification to violate our privacy. But during all these years when you cooperated with NSA to give them access to information about our accounts? Did you have this paragraph then?

I think in any case you should be ashamed of what you have been doing and I expect an explanation and an apology at least. 

I also encourage everybody to choose Internet providers that we can trust respect our privacy and that don´t cooperate with paranoid governments by letting them monitor our activities the way you seem to have done. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Krister Håkansson

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar